Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Eastfreestyler's Bugeye Wagon

46K views 179 replies 37 participants last post by  Brink 
#1 · (Edited)
2009 is crazy year for me (In a good way) :)
I found out my longtime girlfriend was pregnant, so i decided to marry her and start our own little family. This chain of events changed my plan of getting swapped GC/GF, I put all the modding aside and went out from the community for a while.

I had the Coupe for my commute to work, but the lack of space and non power feature turn me off since i have a newborn baby.
So after the registration and insurance expired,
i sold my coupe
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t108146-east-m20-coupe.html
to a fellow rs25er (AWDKID).

I originally wanted to get Legacy GT wagon or Forester XT but i stumble on 2002 Aspen White WRX wagon on craigslist. It had plenty of issues (little things, nothing major) but i'm willing to take the tasks to fix it since i LOVE Aspen White.

My plan is to use this as another alternative to my other Imprezas, and hey i got boost the easy way ;)

Future Mod (no particular order):

- 5 % rear half Tint
- JDM STI catless uppipe
- Bellmouth 3" catless downpipe
- STI axle back
- 22mm RSB
- Eibach Pro kit springs
- KYB GR2 struts
- JDM Liberal Grill
- JDM Liberal Front lip Wagon Spec
- JDM headlights / USDM Retrofit
- JDM rear spats + aero splash
- JDM V7 hood scoop
- Walbro fuel pump

*If my baby hits 4 yrs*
- 6 spd swap
- Brembos
- EJ257

*blue font = done*

basically, i'm looking to build my bugeye wagon similar to this

or

Thanks for Reading
-Aaron

Attachments

See less See more
#144 ·
Thanks Jason, i'll get them eventually along with JDM hoodscoop.

how do you drive that in jersey lol
lol...take closer look at my bottom lip.
It's crackin on the paint. I bought that lip with massive crack, and looks like i would follow the path of the previous owner :unamused:

hes got experience with super low with big lips.. haha looking good aaron. how much did the gauges come out to be? i need to order another gauge just have my autometer boost, deciding if i should get another autometer or just mix/match kinda leaning towards aem uego.. but i agree you should get the mesh foglight covers i loveee them
I'll PM you bout the gauges Keith,
pick which gauges you want first tho (mine is boost, oil press+temp). I would get the wideband later once i'm due for tune. Autometer boost is accurate , i would stick with autometer instead of mix and match. It looks better to have matching gauges on the pod.

#143 ·
hes got experience with super low with big lips.. haha looking good aaron. how much did the gauges come out to be? i need to order another gauge just have my autometer boost, deciding if i should get another autometer or just mix/match kinda leaning towards aem uego.. but i agree you should get the mesh foglight covers i loveee them

#146 ·
^word.
boost gauge is must . That way you know if you're hitting target boost and check for leaks if you don't. Oil pressure is definitely important, subaru factory oil light is retarded. By the time it lights up, you're motor is done. With oil pressure at least you get the idea how your oil is at (that doesn't mean you should stop checking the oil level from dipstick). Oil temp is toss up, i got it because i have sandwich adapter (I might as well put that in)

Updates:
I got my jdm sti catless uppipe installed.

bye bye

New gaskets = no exhaust leak :)

Let's just say factory heatshield sucks...lol...made the job much longer
Shout out to Ralph(RFoy2.5RS-T) for doing most of the work and letting me use his bay with lift, any job is much more easier with lift.
The car spools much quicker now and feels better since the pre turbo exhaust leak is gone. Still waiting patiently to pass my inspection so i can install bellmouth catless downpipe and tune :)

#148 ·
Word...its night and day difference.
It spools consistent now at 2700ish. When I had the leak, it would be around 3-3.5k to get full boost.

The gauges are sitting in my office (came in this morning :))
Today, I went out to get thread sealant for the sandwich adapter and new better vacuum hose for boost gauge. I should do the install this Sunday, I might do seafoam while I'm at it. Sandwich adapter install force me to change my oil earlier, so why not have fun and see some smokeee

#149 ·

So just like others i'm sure, I don't have the patient to wait couple of days to install parts :lol:
I had plan to do the gauges on sunday, but i decided to hook em up 20 minutes before i leave my job yesterday (everyone left and i was the last person at the office)

The vacuum hose i bought was too short, so i used the hose from prosport instead. I did wrap them in electrical tape cuz the engine bay gets hot + i don't trust prosport clear hose. Install is fairly simple (20 minutes), i have ATI clock pod so the wiring is splice into the clock wiring harness. I cut my vacuum hose 3 inches, and T my boost hose there. The wagon looks good cuz i'm hitting 10 psi at 4.5k ish and that's not full throttle.

#160 ·
#151 ·
^will do, just let me know when you get things straighten up w/ Martin.

So yea, i decided to play with my boost level a bit now that i have boost gauge. This mod works good if you're not tune and want to gain 1-2 psi of boost.
I basically replace the restrictor pill on the hose that T the wastegate into the factory BCS. I used 3/16" vacuum coupler from advanceautoparts ($2). I'm seeing close to 15psi now on my gauge, i'll probably take this off once i'm tuned. Lots of mix review on this mod on nasioc, so far so good to me tho :)

#155 ·
:eek:
you read my mind. I was just done posting on your journal how i need you to do data logging since you have tactrix cable now...lol

i need egt or wideband bad :(
Just my luck that those type of gauges(egt/wideband) are the expensive one, and my fund of modding this month is out. It'll be a while till i have money too since my son 1st Bday is coming next month (Nov 19). I'm going to make it Big for everyone, Come through if you can. I'll send you the invite on facebook.

#156 ·
yeah almost every used egt out there are Defi's, and the rest are sold. New ones do cost a pretty penny :( my budget is now focused on winter tyres, i gotta sell some of my stuff to afford them unfortunately. safety first.

wow bday already? nice man thanks i'll come through, thats my day off!

#158 ·
^:banana:
I'm curious how my log will look like. I better not see anything over 12 on my afr when i hit boost.

I haven't update my journal in a while. Not much done to it at this point as i'm busy preparing my son 1st Bday party. I did get Impreza wagon cargo net for my bugeye.
I'm also picking up 3" bellmouth downpipe and maddad 3" tapered to 2.5" midpipe.
That will complete my parts for stage 2. I'm just waiting on Inspection and then tune.

#161 ·
^Thanks man.
Unfortunately, that's how prosport gauges are :(
I'm pretty sure you're still under the 1 yr warranty on them. Give them a call and they should replace that for free.
prosport gauges? - NASIOC
^write there if they didn't honor their warranty. They would do something if someone call them up on the forum

Mine still function so far :crossfingers: but if it does go out, I'll probably get DEFIs or STRIs as replacement.

#163 ·
Thanks but i'm ditching the liberal set up. I'm looking for STI wagon lip or if i have extra cash, then i might go ahead with the sedan conversion.

I haven't update this but some know that my Liberal front lip is broken :(
I parked the wagon in front of my apt, and the next day i saw the lip ripped apart on the ground. Looks like someone backed into it since i saw my fender liner is off on one side.

I have bad luck on my front lip during winter. I broke 2 now :curse:

#166 ·
I'm using the bugeye for my family car. So i just need something that holds up lowering springs better than stock suspension.
I have AGXs and although i like the adjustable options, I'm not going to play around with the stiffness on this wagon. I need the car to have comfort and soft, which is what the GR2s are (They're basically AGXs with setting of 2f/4r).

#167 ·
I've been neglecting the wagon and focusing more on the ej20g sedan.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t108146-eastfreestylers-project-l.html

Updates:
I'm dropping my bugeye off to the dealership tomorrow morning.
I need to get the fuel recall done before it expired. Hopefully Somerset subaru won't rush the job and give me problems once i get it back.
They initially told me i wasn't qualify, but good thing a nasioc member i know works there and help me sort things out.

Nothing really change on the wagon, but I do have a teaser of something coming for this summer :)

#170 ·
You were on the right course
My teaser pic is somewhat misleading since i took em from another advan wheels.

I actually got white 17x8 Advan RG1

Mounted with 225/45/17
They're at my buddy's garage now (picked it up last night). I'll take some pics when i install them
My guess is the super advans three spokes
A friend of mine have them on his white bugeye

They look nice but even nicer with brembos. I'll settle with my Advan RG for now (I have a soft spot for RG wheels).

Oh White on white y0 :)

#174 ·
:lol:
my bugeye wagon is farrr from perfect, but thanks for the kind words.

I saw this post and been thinking about it for a while now
This week I'm going to offer the below for sale. Half of the profits will go to Red Cross for the recent earthquakes in Japan. If you want a part, please grab one and I'll donate.

If you don't want anything here, please make a donation to the Red Cross, or another charity of your choice that will donate to the cause, but please be wary of internet scams.

Thanks. Here's a link for the Japan relief donation site for Red Cross:
https://american.redcross.org/site/Donation2?idb=0&5052.donation=form1&df_id=5052

I have the following for sale:

STI Wagon (GD) front lip in Blue, brand new in Subaru box: $250 shipped
Fix the liberal lip (not too hard since i've done it before)
or
get new lip (JDM STI wagon lip)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.