Engine keeps cranking! - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Engine keeps cranking!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
95RS92TA89C4
2.0L

Fav Mod: 14' sti dash
Trader Rating: (2)
Default Engine keeps cranking!

Ok here goes.

To get to the point: with the battery connected, the trigger wire for my starter is a constant 12v, so with them both connected the engine keeps cranking.

Now to fill you in on some very needed info.

I just did a ej20g swap, wiring was done for me. Had the wrong ecu, ran it off a friends 2.2t ecu for a warm up, and did an oil change. I just received my new ecu today, everything else was already done, i plugged my ecu in and car started and everything was fine. Let it warm up, no problems. Took it for a ride (cant believe how much power that engine makes), brought it back to the garage, shut it off, turned it on a few times (in the procces of looking for leaks and other things since it was its first time running in forever), and the last time i turned it on, after running for a second the starter just came on. I turned the key off, engine shut off, starter kept cranking! so i had to disconnect the battery, and go to work.

When i did the swap i removed my whole dash to install the merged harness.

The new harness had a trigger wire for the starter, and my original one was not replaced and remains in the car. They both get constant 12v now, i was using the new one since the swap.

Im going back now to look into it. It is a very strange problem, wondering if anyone has any ideas, im aware that it may be a shorted connection, just wondering if someone with more knowlegde "og" can point me in a specific direction.

You guys are the best! Help me blow my L trans
95RS92TA89C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Wondy
2.2L

Car: 98 RS Brilliant Red
Fav Mod: PnP heads
Trader Rating: (9)

Check the wires on the starter itself, I had one work itself loose and it did the exact same thing
Wondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
SIMER
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Stroked CDB + EJ207 heads
Trader Rating: (24)

sounds like your starter is grounding itself, kind of like how people use a screwdriver to bump the starter if you know what I mean.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
95RS92TA89C4
2.0L

thanks for the reply's guys.

However i found it.

It didn't crank with the trigger wire removed, and i checked the trigger wire with a volt ohm meter to read it had 12v constantly. so i was able to rule those out.

When i returned to the garage to inspect i noticed the oil light was also illuminating with only the batt connected, not even the key in.

upon investigating that i found the oil pressure switch wire also had 12v constant..

searching for shorted wires, and trusting my original car wiring wasnt at fault, I removed the whole merged harness, (after removing half my dash to access it, again), and found a very melted wire, that had melted itself into contact with at least two other wires. How it got to many amps im not sure, but i intend on repairing all the damaged areas tomorrow and reinstalling the harness to check that my problem is indeed solved.

I learned my lesson. last time i trust someone else's work. From the tape job, i originally wanted to double check it, i should have gone with my gut feeling there as well.

thanks again, i will update tomorrow
Old 04-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
95RS92TA89C4
2.0L

so..

I repaired the melted wires, but the oil pressure wire was still getting 12v.

To make a very, very long story short, after removing my dash ect, i consulted my original 1.8 harness.

Dont ask me how cuz i have no idea, but two wires from two different plugs (ecu + and the oil pressure sensor wire) were switched on the merged harness. So the thin oil pressure wire was getting 12v constant and grounding through the sensor and melted to some other wires, thus alerting me of the problem.

after switching them, my oil pressure light worked as it should, and when i pulled the fuse for my ecu the engine died.

Got to drive the car for an actual drive today, if i shift in boost my 5000 mile old 2.2 clutch slips in 2nd and 3rd so far, havent gotten to feel 4th or 5th yet, im sure if it diddnt my trans would already be deal hahaha, gotta go a build thread now

thanks again, im sure no one else will have this problem, please delete this thread..
Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Sarra
2.0L Turbo

Car: 2005 Baja Two-Tone Grey/Silver
Fav Mod: Exhaust hole whistle
Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95RS92TA89C4 View Post
so..

I repaired the melted wires, but the oil pressure wire was still getting 12v.

To make a very, very long story short, after removing my dash ect, i consulted my original 1.8 harness.

Dont ask me how cuz i have no idea, but two wires from two different plugs (ecu + and the oil pressure sensor wire) were switched on the merged harness. So the thin oil pressure wire was getting 12v constant and grounding through the sensor and melted to some other wires, thus alerting me of the problem.

after switching them, my oil pressure light worked as it should, and when i pulled the fuse for my ecu the engine died.

Got to drive the car for an actual drive today, if i shift in boost my 5000 mile old 2.2 clutch slips in 2nd and 3rd so far, havent gotten to feel 4th or 5th yet, im sure if it diddnt my trans would already be deal hahaha, gotta go a build thread now

thanks again, im sure no one else will have this problem, please delete this thread..
Nice job tracing that down and fixing it. Wiring issues can be a major pain in the ass.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote