DIY H6 rear rotors and brackets - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
DIY H6 rear rotors and brackets

Old 06-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
smitch
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (22)
Smile DIY H6 rear rotors and brackets

This is a real easy, inexpensive mod to do. I'm willing to bet if you can take off a wheel you can do this mod.

Theres another good bake DIY thread out there. Im putting this one together because I couldnt find all the info in one place.

Parts
-Rear h6 caliper brackets 26625ae000
-Rear 2001 Legacy Outback H6 Rotors (I picked mine up local and cheaper than having them shipped)
-Rear pads if yours are bad
-High Temp Paint if your a nerd and want everything to look good.

Tools
-14mm
-Rubber Malllet
-Pliers
-Prybar

1. Assuming you have the wheel off you are going to need the 14mm and go after the top bolts that hold on the caliper. (top finger) (bottom finger is the caliper braket bolt)

After the caliper is loose move it out of the way and proceed to the caliper brackets. Those bolts are also 14mm. Now move the caliper brackets out of the way.

2. Next the rotor has to come off. I used an assortment of hammers to work it loose and a pry bar to finish it off. Hit it with a hammer, pry, turn the rotor and repeat until it comes off. Oneside came off easy the other side, I had to work at.

3. Now with the rotor out of the way its time to bend and beat that heat sheild out of the way. I started off with pliers and bent it back than went to the rubber mallet to finish it off. I test fitted the new h6 rotor to make sure it cleared all the way around.

4. Putting it back together is easy. First the rotor. Second the new h6 caliper braket using the 14mm bolts. Transfer everything over from the old bracket, slider pins(may need grease), brake clips and pads.

^^slider pins^^

^^brake pads and clips^^

5. Now slide back on your old caliper and secure it down using the other 14mm bolts we removed earlier.

6. Your done, after you put the wheels back on and torque them down to spec. Oh and dont forget the other side.

Like I said, very simple. Maybe so simple that I just wasted my time. I did this again because I wanted all the info in one spot, with part numbers. Its probably out there, but I only found bits and peices.

If you have something to add feel free.

Last edited by smitch; 06-24-2007 at 08:40 PM..
smitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
VolantGC8
2.0L Turbo

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
Trader Rating: (6)

Besides adding that this is a fantastic and cheaper alternative to better, more neutral braking, instead of bending back the dust shield you can just cut the "lip" off of the shield so the rotor fits no problem.

That is, if you can source a cutting wheel.
VolantGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
smitch
Premium Member

^^That works too. How hard is it to cut the heat sheild? It bends pretty easy.

I bought these to try to keep up/balance out my 4 pots.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
VolantGC8
2.0L Turbo

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
Trader Rating: (6)

easy to cut, basically one pass with the wheel and it slices right off. You don't need it anyway so why not get rid of it. Plus it probably saves like 1-2 lbs. lol

I still have stock front brakes but I really like the braking feel for a daily driver. Plus its cool to look at a side profile of the car and the front and rear brakes are practically the same size now.
VolantGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
Siper2
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 Outback H-6
Fav Mod: Baja Turbo RSB.
Trader Rating: (18)

I actually ripped my dust shield off. Just used a hammer to bust the spot welds. Did this mod a couple years ago, with an OE bracket and rotor. I still have it installed.

Hammer wins:

Broken pieces:

Old 06-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
smitch
Premium Member

I read somewhere...maybe sportcompact car, the removeing the headsheilds was a bad idea. They cooked something, sorry it was a long time ago. Not saying you will have any problems.

my wagon wants your wheels
Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
vinceGC8
2.7L

Trader Rating: (11)

theres an easier way to remove the rotor than using a pry bar. if you have 2 spare 12mm bolts. just start threading them into the two holes that lie between the studs. the rotor will start to get pushed out. takes a min or two to get the rotor off this way.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
smitch
Premium Member

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
the ghoul
2.5L

Car: 2000, subaru, impreza 2.5rs, s
Trader Rating: (2)

one of the best mods ever!!!
I did this to my car along with wrx front brakes (same process as above but using USDM WRX brackets, and rotors insted of H6).
I complamented it all with SS brake lines, dot 5.1 fluid, home made master cylinder brace, and EBC red stuff brake pads.

Wrx rotors vs stock 2.5rs

H6 rotors vs stock 2.5rs

basically because you are Increasing the diameter of the rear rotors more than the front you still get shifted braking to the rear, but with better braking up front as well.
And the only thing the lines, brace and fluid did for me was gave me a more dependable lock point at all temperature ranges.
And the only thing the drilled rotors got me was a fancy look….. that’s all, no more, no less!

The only thing bad about removing the dust shields is debris can easily get stuck in your brake brackets…. That’s about it.
I have been running my set up with no dust shields, and powder coated calipers, brackets, and rotors with no issues for 30000 miles (there were some rumors that the powder coat would melt under heavy braking… un-true).
the ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:21 AM   #10
supermoose
2.2L Turbo

Car: 1998 BMW M3
Fav Mod: 2 way clutch LSD / ITB's
Trader Rating: (34)

leak of information....

2000+ legacy all had these brakes oem in teh rear.