DIY: Flock your dash - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
DIY: Flock your dash

Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
sheepdog
2.2L

Fav Mod: Matte Khaki
Trader Rating: (0)
Default DIY: Flock your dash

So, since I posted up my members journal, people have been asking for my experience regarding this whole flocking thing. I researched long and hard to figure out exactly what the deal was with this stuff. To be honest, it was pretty simple, although I took no good pictures of the process. They wouldn't really be that helpful or exciting, and I trust my explanation skills will cut the mustard.

Beforehand, let me mention that this method of flocking is different from that used in some racing applications. There is a more advanced application method which statically charges the part to which the fibers will be applied, standing them all up at 90 degrees from the surface. It gives it more of a velvet kind of feel. The type of flocking I did does not stand all the fibers up, and gives you more of a felt/microsuede kind of feel. I prefer my finish, but the static method looks SUPER clean. You just need to find and pay someone who can do that.

I called Donjer products, and they got me all set up with both the color-matched adhesive, flock fibers, and I bought an air applicator gun as well. I also ordered a spare gun cannister, for large areas like the dash it made life a little easier.

I'd recommend sanding any piece you flock, regardless of whether you think it needs it or not. Pieces I sanded first hold the flocking much better, and durability increases significantly.

First, you want to build yourself a booth and line it with plastic. The goal is to be able to have a backdrop where most of your fibers that don't end up on the piece get captured where you can re-use them. It inevitably gets everywhere, but I recovered surprising amounts, way more than I was expecting from my less than perfect booth, which was basically a big box my fenders came in cut off on one side and lined with painters plastic.

Basically, you sand the part up, and clean it. Then paint on the adhesive nice and thick, as thick as possible without it getting runny. It is thick enough that you can get pretty precise with the lines and types of things you can flock, and the fibers only stick to where the glue has been laid.

Before you paint the glue, however, you want to fill your one or two fiber canisters about halfway with the fibers. I found the best way to do this was to build a paper funnel to dump them into. This obviously applies only if you paid the money for the air gun, I didn't bother with the smaller hand applicator. They recommend a pretty low line pressure for the gun, and I ended up running mine a bit higher. Just play with it until you find a pressure you like.

When you get the glue on, and run it over with a brush to make sure all the glue is tacky, start laying fibers on with the air gun. I found short bursts on the trigger got the fibers flowing, if it got stuck up I just gave the whole gun a shake. Lay on more fibers than you think you could ever possibly need, you want every bit of glue available to have the chance to bond to a fiber.

Afterwards, use your hands to scoop up the extra fibers, stuff it back in the canister, and repeat on everything else you own like I have

You'll want to avoid touching it for as long as you can stand, to let the glue fully cure. I let mine sit a full 72 hours plus before blowing off the excess fibers. You'll want to strategize beforehand how you are going to sit or hang anything you flock as a result. Also, you can NOT flock in sections, unless you have a very clean line, or are flocking different sections which aren't adjacent. If you tried to do your dash in two parts, for instance, you would leave a super obvious line where the two batches met.

In terms of durability, I'd say it's less durable than suede would be, but more durable than a paint. For high traffic or wear areas, this isn't the stuff to use. You'll rub the fibers off and end up with a rough, patchy, black piece.

Anyways, enjoy!

Build Linky: The devil is in the details... GC goodness inside

Some pics:

Last edited by sheepdog; 05-05-2009 at 06:41 PM..
sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
ALL NATURAL
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Bed / Forester Suspension
Trader Rating: (6)

awesome write up! Sounds pretty easy and looks amazing
ALL NATURAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
blackbeast
2.0L Turbo

Trader Rating: (41)

sweet. i was just considering doing this
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Illnastyimpreza
2.0L Turbo

Car: 98 2.5RS, GT30R, Haltech E1000
Fav Mod: the one that works
Trader Rating: (5)

Holly SHIT your interior looks fucking SICK...

I have never been a fan of flocked dash. But it looks GOOD in your car !

What seats are those ???
Old 05-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
sheepdog
2.2L

Thanks! They're 06' STi seats, front and rear.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
MGBrand
Anti-Nonsense

Car: 2004 2.5 RS, 1973 L48 Corvette
Fav Mod: Borla Headers

Damn that looks good. How does it hold up when you clean it? Like clear dust off and stuff?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
spinninhye
2.7L

Car: 2000 2.5 RS
Trader Rating: (4)

Beautiful interior.
spinninhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
Not-Ewrx
2.0L Turbo

Car: 97 Brighton, 4x4
Fav Mod: CEL free is the way to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAsubybrah View Post

Damn that looks good. How does it hold up when you clean it? Like clear dust off and stuff?
+1 on how durable it is.

Love it though!

Not-Ewrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
Joshua

Fav Mod: all of them
Trader Rating: (60)

you use a vacuum or lint roller to clean it. Water if you really need. No solvents though..
Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
sheepdog
2.2L

Yea, as of yet I've only had to vacuum with soft bristle brush. Apparently it won't hold a stain, with the exception of a paint or glue of course. I wouldn't put it on any high wear areas, like a door sill piece, interior door handles, wiper stalks, etc. You can definitely rub the fibers off with enough abrasion, leaving just the color matched adhesive underneath. I wouldn't call it fragile though, my seatbelt sliders, knobs, and dome light switch are holding up strong since I don't use them that much.